Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Luscious chocolates box

Hi everyone!

Today’s post brings a little confession: I am a chocoholic! I guess that became clear to me last S. Valentine’s day, when my boyfriend handed me a wonderful (and big) box of chocolates and told me: “I knew you would have enjoyed flowers, but I guess you will like these more!”. That was a very pleasant surprise, because it made me understand how well he truly knows me (ahahah…no! that was a pleasant surprise because I had an entire box of chocolates for me…yummy!!!!!!)…well the deeper meaning also came to my mind, but only after I got the sweets out of my sight ;-).

After some days of intense efforts put into not finishing all those goodies right away, I decided to use this experience as inspiration for a vintage, yummy decoupage box, which I will dedicate to all the chocoholics out there. If you also share this little addiction, or if you know anyone who does, here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to create your own.

Materials:
  • Wooden box
  • Matte basecoat
  • Cream acrylic paint
  • Liquid bitumen (or any other antiquing medium)
  • Decoupage glue
  • Clear sealer
  • Background image (optional) (I used Calambour’s mulberry paper PAU59)
  • Chocolates graphics (I got mine from Calambour’s mulberry paper DGR180)
  • Chocolates label (I used one from Calambour’s paper DGE229)
  • Lace

First of all, I lightly sanded the box surface. I then applied the basecoat and the cream paint, letting dry between coats. I sanded again the entire surface, so that the wood grain would emerge. I tore small pieces of background mulberry paper and glued them sparsely using decoupage glue. Once the piece dried, I added the pastries graphics (both on the inside and on the outside of the box… chocolates are never enough, right?) and the label, before applying 3 coats of clear sealer in order to protect the creation.

I then gave a vintage look to the piece by  using a sponge to apply liquid bitumen on the edges. I advice to always use the antiquing medium after a couple coats of sealer, otherwise the paper, which is more permeable then the wood, might get stained.

To embellish the box, I used decoupage glue to attach the cotton lace around the perimeter of the top. When doing this, I am usually very generous with the quantity of glue I use (I keep brushing it on, until the lace gets soaked). This not only allows for a better bonding, but also makes the lace water (and stain) proof.

And here is my little finished creation!

I hope you like it, and I wish you a very sweet day!

My favorite parties: Under the Table and Dreaming -  Between Naps on the Porch Dwellings Creatively living The dedicated house - Rain on a tin Roof Its So Very Cheri DIY Showoff The Stories of A2Z - Coastal Charm - A Stroll thru Life My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia - Stone Gable Cozy little house  Knick of time -Savvy Southern Style - Ivy and Elaphants Green Willow Pond - Chic by Tab No Minimalist Here From my front porch to yours Craftberry Bush  The Brambleberry Cottage - French Country Cottage Common Ground The Charm of Home The shabby nest Romantic home - Sunny simple life - The cottage market



P.s. If you don’t want to miss any crafty project, remember to follow the blog by clicking on the “join this site” button in the right column ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment